Welcome to Mystery Mondays. Today we have author Kim Knight. She’s written 6 books and is here to share her advice on writing buddies.
I met Kim online, and we have since become mutual supporters and promoters. That’s part of the joy of Mystery Mondays for me. I keep getting to meet other writers! So over to Kim…
Why Every Writer Needs A Writing Buddy by Kim Knight
It never occurred to me that a writing buddy is a much needed thing in my life. Like an accessory I can’t leave the house without my mobile, a spray of perfume and a fresh coat of lipstick. I need my buddy and you dear writer friend, you need to find yourself one. I would recommend it to all writers out there, no matter what stage they are at in their career.
So how did this come about for me? And why am I urging you to find yours? Well over in the USA a fellow suspense author, Didi Oviatt found and read my romantic suspense novel, A Stranger in France. She read it, loved it and raved about it. I was so grateful that she parted with her money, as well as grateful for her readership and feedback. I thought nothing more of it after that. However, I was intrigued by her as an author in my genre.
My buddy is the complete opposite from me in every way from reading her bio. I’m a big city girl from London, she’s a small town girl from the USA. Curiosity got the better of me, I read her suspense novel and fell in love too. The one thing we do have in common is our love of writing suspense and thriller, and writing style. The latter is the key to a great buddy.
After some discussion and skype chats, we decided to practice our skills by writing a short story each week. The fun bit about this is writing prompts are selected by readers, one of us starts the story and the other finishes it. Two writers on one story. No discussion or pre- planning one starts and then sends it to the other to finish. Cool huh?
After around six weeks of writing short stories, and then blogging them for readers to enjoy, we had an anthology of stories to be very proud of. The feedback readers gave us really encouraged us to keep going. We took it a step further after feedback, we published the six stories with two never seen before bonus stories. The Suspenseful Collection Volume One.
It’s released on the 28th July 2017. This innocent creative writing practice has turned out to be a more long term commitment, I can’t believe my name is plastered all over a sexy book cover with hers! She is no longer competition as another writer in my genre, she’s my partner in crime to take our genre by storm with. I never ever imagined this from innocent writing and blogging our stories. Still not convinced you need one?
Dear fellow writer here is what a writing buddy can do for you.
- Like you already know feedback is valuable, it’s helpful to have not just from readers but. another writer. One who writes your genre is a massive bonus. They get you, understand your work and style of writing. Chances are they read a lot in the same genre too. Writers read with a writer’s hat on, we see things in a different light which can be great as feedback.
- You will be stretched beyond belief! You’ll develop yourself. One challenge with my writing buddy I’ve had personally is, she writes kick ass fantasy and sci-fi, all kinds of stuff that scares me to try. My talent is not creating new worlds or cool fantasy. It’s creating likeable bad boys, a great crime scene, sexy heroes, strong heroines and steamy sex scenes. I like my suspense and thrill, mixed up with romance or fast paced gritty crime. My buddy is not a romance writer. We’ve both wrote stories in genres we don’t even write, or considered writing. It was an amazing experience. Very developmental and challenging.
- You’ll learn new tricks. And your level of focus when writing will shift. I say this as my buddy is American, I’m British we spell differently naturally! I’ve become mindful of my English spelling, while trying to not give away to our readers who wrote what in our stories due to spellings. 😊
- You’ll naturally write better from all the practice together, and feedback from your buddy.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you need to do as I have done with my buddy, with two writers on one story, or even publish work together. This was not the aim of becoming buddies it was innocent practice. But I am saying find someone who you can relate to, talk to, and most of all you dig their writing style. Then practice together. Bounce ideas off each other, brainstorm, read each other’s work. Give critique and be critiqued by a trusted writer, not reader.
How To Find A Writing Buddy And Kim’s Top Tips.
- Look on your list of blogs you follow. Most writers follow other writers. See what writer you enjoy interacting with. If you had to pick a book to read from an author on your list, who would you pick? Once you find one go and buy their book and read it. See who writes your genre also if you can. Who has a personality you think you can get along with, from reading their personal blogs? These are tips and questions to ask yourself when looking.
- Send them a message and see if they would like to be your buddy. Tell them what you’d like to do as buddies and why.
- If they say no, no problem keep looking.
- Don’t go with a writer who comes across as a know it all. Confident, but never arrogant. Chances are when you give feedback the over arrogant writer will not take it well, we don’t want any falls outs!
- Have fun together don’t make it all business.
- If you get on as people even more better. From across the Atlantic via email, and during the short skype chats my buddy and I try to fit in (with a seven hour time difference) when our kids are asleep, I can tell if I met my buddy in person we would have a ball! You should feel like this about your buddy.
- Whatever you plan to do during your writing buddy friendship, do it regularly. Make it a habit that’s hard to break.
- Support each other they are not your competition, help them out and be helped. I designed and produced my buddies next book cover, I took this task off her hands. I love to design stuff from clothing, to a whole make- range if I could one day.
Good luck in your new partnerships writers! Have fun.
The Suspenseful Collection Now Available for Pre-Order!
A suspenseful novel with a twist. Eight short stories, by two suspense authors, from diverse backgrounds. From opposite sides of the Atlantic these stories have been created. One author started the tale and the other ended it. No discussion, no pre-planning, but yet their stories are seamless. With just creativity and the use of writing prompts, to craft one tale, with two different writers. This anthology of suspenseful, fast paced and engaging tales covers multiple genres. From heart felt romance, crime, fantasy, and steamy historical fiction. There is a story for everyone!
WHO IS KIM KNIGHT?
Kim is thirty four (born in 1983), and from London in the UK. She’s a mother to a beautiful toddler and a proud author of six romance and thriller books. Kim started her journey as a traditionally published author, she scored a publishing contract with a USA based publisher. She was over the moon! However, it became clear to Kim that things were not as she expected. Therefore, she set out on her own journey, she dived head first into the world of self-publishing and republished two of her fictional stories, and became a proud self-published author also. Something great was unleashed, she’ll never look back in regret.
As a reader she’s head over heels in love with romance, historical fiction, crime fiction, African- American, suspense and thriller genre books. At present Kim is writing a romantic thriller novel, and brainstorming steamy romance novella ideas. As a writer, Kim enjoys creating stories with a diverse and multi-cultural line up, within the romance, romantic suspense, general thriller and crime genres. When she’s not reading, or writing stories of her own her other passions include practising her French, fashion, drawing, make-up artistry, spending time at her sewing machine dressmaking, watching make up and beauty tutorials on YouTube, letter writing and being a mum.
Social Media Links
Follow me on Twitter @kimknightauthor
Like me on Facebook @kimknightauthoruk
Sign up for updates on my author site www.kimknightauthor.com
Favourite me on Smashwords www.smashwords.com
Amazon Author Page Amazon
Book Blurb: The Suspenseful Collection: Volume One by Kim Knight & Didi Oviatt
A suspenseful novel with a twist. Eight short stories, by two suspense authors, from diverse backgrounds. From opposite sides of the Atlantic these stories have been created. One author started the tale and the other ended it. No discussion, no pre-planning yet their stories are seamless. With just creativity and the use of writing prompts, to craft one tale, with two different writers. This anthology of suspenseful, fast paced and engaging tales covers multiple genres. From heart felt romance, crime, fantasy, and steamy historical fiction. There is a story for everyone!
Steamy Historical Crime Fiction: It was The First Time I Killed A Man.
It’s 1972 and New York’s first female serial killer Lisa Vanacilli is in the hot seat again, ten years after her conviction of murder to the first degree and innocent plea. The ruthless but sexy reporter Tiffany Low cracks Lisa for a confession… at a price. Lisa is strong, courageous and says it how it is. This story has been extended due to reader’s demand. And is only for adult readers.
Psychological Fiction: Every Time I Hear That Voice From The Basement.
George appears to be harmless. The local neighbourhood geek on the outside, married to Jolene. In reality, he’s a very disturbed man. His path crosses with Dana, the local check out girl. This is a psychological suspense story with a twist.
Crime Fiction: The Entrance To The Tunnel Is His Only Way Out.
Juan is a wanted man, and an ex-gang member on the run from Atlanta to Mexico. With a hundred grand in cash stolen from his ex-boss, he meets an unlikely fate in Mexico. A fast-paced crime fiction story.
Contemporary Romance: When His Hands Run Up My Thighs I…
Love has no time limit, age limit or use by date. Sarah now in her fifties is reunited with her long-lost love Joshua. They last had contact in 1961. In the present day, thanks to the advancement of technology their paths cross. A heart-warming and modern tale, about long distance love, that will leave you warm inside.
Suspense: We Only Said Goodbye With Words, I Died A Hundred Times:
In 1963 Russian Femme Fatale Mila Petrov is London’s top Madam. Her entertainment house is booming, she has a team of London’s strongest women behind her. Unfinished business from her past creeps up and haunts her. It’s nothing she can’t handle. A suspenseful historical tale, with a strong femme fatale.
Fantasy: The Ones Who Live At The Bottom Of The Ocean, Come To The Surface.
A beautiful coming of age story, featuring sixteen year old Zoe and her mother May-Li. Myth becomes reality, as Zoe finds out who and what she really is. Her mixed descent reveals more than what meets the eye. This fantasy story is set against the backdrop of a Greek island and Hong Kong, China.
Suspenseful Crime Fiction: Guilty As Charged, In Self-Defence
California’s sassy, tough, and loveable defence lawyer Catherine has taken on a case so high profile, if she wins she’ll become a partner of Martin Law Firm. Defending forty six year old Mrs. Chevelle. An ex Las Vegas show girl, now a Hollywood wife, on trial for the murder of her high-profile husband. She claims she’s innocent. Readers are taken on a fast -paced journey on a mission to seek the truth.
Contemporary Fiction: It’s A Man’s Man’s World:
A beautiful modern tale showing the love and appreciation of a woman. James Brown said it right when he said, “it’s a man’s man’s world, but it would mean nothing without a woman or a girl.”